Medical Assistant-Gastroenterology Per Diem
Company: Brown Medicine
Posted on: August 6, 2022
Job DescriptionSUMMARY: Perform selected clinical duties that
assist in the delivery of patient care management to the degree of
training and as delegated by Practice Manager, practice
physician(s), nurse practitioner(s), physician assistant(s) or
nurse(s). Maintains efficient clinical operations, following Brown
Medicine's electronic medical record (EMR) and Patient-Centered
Medical Home (PCMH) workflow protocols. PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND
RESPONSIBILITIES: Consistently applies the Brown Medicine values of
patient care priority, dignity, collaboration, integrity and
quality in support of the Brown Medicine mission to deliver
compassionate, high-quality patient care, research excellence and
outstanding physician education. Responsible for knowing and acting
in accordance with the Brown Medicine Compliance Program and Code
of Conduct. Consistently practices the Brown Medicine Customer
- Follow established Brown Medicine EMR workflow protocols to
maximize site's productivity and office flow efficiency.
- Prepare exam and/or treatment rooms with necessary equipment
and supplies for examination or treatment.
- Access all clinical information through the EMR. Check for
outstanding labs, x-rays, consults, etc. Review previous office
note to determine tests required at time of service. Communicate
any outstanding needs.
- Prepare patient for examination and/or treatment obtaining
vital signs such as blood pressure, pulse, temperature,
respirations and weight and height. Record vital signs and update
- Perform testing procedures relative to appropriate training and
demands of specialty such as EKGs, spirometry, tympanograms, PFTs,
audiometry, U/A, pregnancy testing, throat cultures, blood glucose,
Hgb A1- C, coumadin levels, monofilament testing, etc.
- Assist physician in preparing for procedures to specialty (i.e.
physicals, pap smears, minor surgeries, sigmoidoscopy, etc.).
Maintains sterile technique as appropriate.
- Under physician supervision draw up and administer
- Check for refills pending on system. Load medications as per
specific office protocol/physician request.
- Maintain, stock and clean examination rooms.
- Review medical record and perform all clinical functions and
testing as per approved protocol and standing orders.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of chronic conditions,
especially diabetes, CAD and depression and Evidence Based
Guidelines (EBG), as related to these conditions
- Demonstrate knowledge and competence in Evidence Based
guidelines (EBG) and population management and proficiency
reviewing clinical quality reports and performing follow-up with
patients, providers, specialists, outside facilities and community
organizations to best meet the care team's goals and
- Demonstrate proficiency in written and verbal communications
with all other health team members regarding any pertinent clinical
issues and follow-up with patient to include daily huddles,
pre-visit planning, follow-up on clinical quality reports and
dissemination of information to the patient as per order of the
provider and documentation of all communications in the EMR
- Perform medication review as per protocol on every patient and
make changes in EMR as appropriate.
- Demonstrate competence in performing Motivational Interviewing
to facilitate development and follow-up of Self-Management Goals
(SMG), determining readiness for change and working with patient in
identifying and resolving barriers to change.
- Provide education to patients on the goals and mission of
Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH), to include the importance of
coordination of all care by the PCP, and prudent use of emergency
rooms when seeking care.
- Facilitate patient activation and encourage patient to be an
active, informed member of the care team and provide tools
necessary to assist patients in meeting their healthcare
- Participate as an active member of the care team and assume
duties/responsibilities to facilitate ongoing care coordination,
follow-up and reporting/documentation to improve clinical outcomes.
- Display strong sense of teamwork in daily interactions with all
internal and external members of the care team to provide ongoing
support for all aspects of the patient's care.
- Demonstrate active participation as part of the care team to
provide care and communication to the patient on an ongoing basis
as the need arises and in the interim - between appointments.
Ensures that the patient is prepared, and we have all the pertinent
health information prior to the patient arriving for their
- Actively supports the goals and concepts of the PCMH and
practice transformation by demonstrating flexibility and
willingness to change and participates in ongoing, clinical quality
- Maintain equipment and report broken or missing equipment to
manager as soon as possible.
- Reduce inquiries to others when information is readily
available through other means.
- Willingly learns new skills, procedures, protocols as they are
introduced; attends training and masters new software
- Consistently demonstrate ability to respond to changing
situations in a flexible manner in order to meet current needs,
such as reprioritizing work as necessary.
- Minimize non-productive time and fill slow periods with
activities that will enable you to prepare to meet future needs of
the office (organizing, housekeeping, assisting others, etc.).
- Maintain patient confidentiality at all times.
- Attend required meetings and training sessions.
- Maintain all licensures / certifications / OSHA training.
- May perform duties of Medical Secretary.
- Demonstrate flexibility to perform duties wherever volume deems
it necessary within the office. BASIC KNOWLEDGE:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Graduate of a Medical Assistant Program or one-year experience
gained through prior employment in a medical practice.
- National certification preferred.
- Knowledge of examination, diagnostic and/or treatment
procedures as dictated by specialty area.
- Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions necessary to
maintain a safe work environment.
- Ability to read, speak and understand (both orally and in
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency
- Ability to comprehend, adapt and apply guidelines and
- Ability to communicate appropriately.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective, professional
working relationships with patients, physicians, supervisor and
- Ability to access or retrieve clinical information in EMR and
scan in any pertinent information. EXPERIENCE: Prefer a minimum of
one-year experience working in a medical setting. Prefer experience
with EMR software and medical scheduling software.
Keywords: Brown Medicine, Cranston , Medical Assistant-Gastroenterology Per Diem, Healthcare , Riverside, Rhode Island
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!