Mechanic - Diesel and Trailer -3rd shift - Cranston
Company: New Penn Motor Express
Posted on: December 26, 2018
Does your career need a tune-up? Explore the possibilities with a company that really delivers. Job Purpose Statement As a Diesel Mechanic you will repair and maintain vehicles as necessary for continuous, safe performance and operating efficiency. Essential Duties and Responsibilities of the Diesel Mechanic:
- Repair and maintain New Penn trucks and trailers, and using hand tools, power or pneumatic tools. Perform routine and scheduled PM's on all company equipment such as tractors, straight-trucks, trailers and forklifts.
- Demonstrated knowledge of electrical, driveline, brake, suspension and other systems. Ability to work on hydraulic/electric lift-gate equipment. Read job order, follow manuals; observe and listen to troubleshoot and plan work procedures. May discuss with driver nature and extent of damage or malfunction. Drive repaired truck to verify roadworthiness.
- Inspect parts for wear, visually and with diagnostic instruments. Replace as necessary.
- Repair or replace defective parts such as starters, alternators, belts, and hoses. Rewire or install new lights, align front wheels, replace and adjust brakes, replace brake chambers, shock absorbers, change or recharge batteries, and repair and maintain coolant systems.
- Examine protective guards, loose bolts, inspect and maintain safety devices on trucks. Replace, or add gauges or lighting in instrument panel. Replace and adjust headlights; install and repair accessories, such as radios, heaters, mirrors, and windshield wipers. Mend damaged body and fenders by hammering out or filling in dents or welding broken parts. Light fabrication as required.
- Will be responsible for maintaining accurate computer records of time and parts used on specific work order tasks.
- Perform all other duties as apparent or assigned by the Region Maintenance Manager. Required Education and Experience of the Diesel Mechanic:
- Thorough technical knowledge of all phases of truck and trailer repair.
- Training and education in diesel engines and related components.
- Mechanical experience in fleet repair.
- CDL required, Class A preferred.
- High School Diploma or its equivalent. Key Competencies
- Must have basic typing and writing skills.
- Must be able to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
- Must have the knowledge and ability to prioritize job tasks.
- Must be able to work Independently.
- Must support teamwork by participating, cooperating, and communication with co-workers.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with customers and co-workers by providing accurate, meaningful, courteous and timely responses to their questions. Working Environment
- Regular and punctual attendance is an essential function of this position. Variations to the work schedule need to receive the supervisor's approval.
- Must be available to work before or after regularly scheduled work hours.
- Employee may also be required to handle and perform work safely and efficiently through stressful situations.
- BOTH INSIDE & OUTSIDE WORK: Performing tasks where exposure to and protections from weather conditions are both present in significant portions of the time spent working. Incidental, or infrequent exposure or protection is classified under either "Inside", or "Outside" categories.
- WET AND/OR HUMID: Contact with water or other liquids; or exposure to non-weather-related humid conditions sufficiently high to cause marked bodily discomfort.
- NOISE AND/OR VIBRATIONS: Constant or intermittent sounds of a pitch or level sufficient to cause marked distraction or possible hearing loss, bodily strain, or harm. Exposure to a shaking object or surface that causes a strain on the body or extremities.
- HAZARDS: Danger to life, health, or exposure to bodily injury such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, exposure to electrical shock, working in high or exposed places, exposure to burns, radiant energy, explosives, or toxic or caustic chemicals.
- ATMOSPHERIC CONDITIONS: Fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases, poor ventilation, or any condition affecting the respiratory system or the skin. Physical Demands
- Employee Must be able to Lift in excess of 100 lbs part of the time.
- Employee must be able to push, pull, climb, crawl, twist, rotate on a frequent basis.
- Employee must be able to stoop, bend, squat, kneel, stand and walk for a majority of the work day.
Keywords: New Penn Motor Express, Cranston , Mechanic - Diesel and Trailer -3rd shift - Cranston, Engineering , Cranston, Rhode Island
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!