Education Advisor - Talent Search
Company: American Student Assistance
Posted on: September 21, 2018
Under the direction of the Program Manager, the Education Advisor will recruit students, establish and maintain professional relationships with various groups, conduct presentations as well as participate in meetings interfacing with educational institutions, community groups and other organizations. The Education Advisor will work with low-income and first-generation college students from the Brockton Public Schools. He/she will also collect data, document eligibility, and assess need for services; develop a plan to address needs, provide and document services, and monitor progress; understand and comply with funder regulations, coordinate services with partners, and provide advocacy and referrals.Required SkillsESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (e.g., in order to be considered to perform this position, the person must be able to perform essential duties and responsibilities listed below): Recruitment:
- Establish and maintain relationships with leadership and staff within post-secondary institutions, alternative education programs, apprenticeship, workforce development and community agencies and business partners
- Conduct quality outreach to inform students, families and partner agencies of program services and to identify and recruit potential project participants
- Plan and implement workshops and other activities on preparing for postsecondary education, career awareness, college admissions process, and financial aid; other topics may be requested.
- Provide information and assistance to diverse audiences through outreach presentations, trainings, and events. Collect data/document eligibility/assess need for services
- Determine participant eligibility and need for program services through data collection and review of information provided in program application and during individual meetings
- Maintain confidential records of individuals served and documentation of assistance provided; update regularly
- Using Salesforce and/or other databases to track and maintain caseload; including services provided college applications, college admission decisions, financial aid applications, scholarship, job shadow, career exploration and enrollment information, etc. Develop plan to address need/provide and document services/monitor progress and adjust
- Develop individual education support strategies to meet participants' needs, and monitor progress by providing information, advice, and assistance on a variety of education and career planning topics
- Support students in successfully navigating social and emotional challenges that may arise in college/career planning and enrollment.
- Assist diverse clients with completing financial aid and admissions applications or job applications and resumes
- Counsel students and families in identifying and applying to 'best fit' colleges/career and supporting them to make better informed decisions after high school
- Establish and maintain advising relationships through a variety of channels; one-on-one, small or large group presentations, correspondence, email/text, telephone, or web-based, to assess progress, offer support, and provide on-going assistance, or referrals
- Offer responses to inquiries about program services to potential participants and/or collaborating partners
- Serve as liaison between clients and post-secondary institution, resolve issues which may be causing a barrier to a successful outcome Understand and comply with funder regulations/requirements, Coordinate/collaborate with partners, advocacy, referrals,
- Understand and ensure compliance with funder requirements
- Assist with program evaluation activities and annual performance reporting.
- Achieve annual service requirements and outcome objectives as stipulated ASA and the grant/funder.
- Work with both ASA and Brockton Public Schools colleagues to cultivate collaborative partnerships in an effort to offer complementary services
- Refer participants to appropriate organizations, agencies, services as needed Other
- Participate in organizational/departmental planning sessions, training and staff meetings
- Serve as a member of internal cross-functional teams; participate in special projects intended for organizational growth or support training of new staff and interns
- This position is 40 hours per week. It requires the ability to work a flexible schedule that includes evenings and weekends throughout the year. One overnight trip is planned annually
- Ability to travel days, evenings, and weekends as required, must have reliable transportation
- Willingness and capacity to keep current on industry research and trends
- Individuals assigned to this position may perform other duties as assigned Required ExperienceEDUCATION:
- Bachelor degree in education, counseling, business or other related field required.
- Minimum of two years of experience with college planning, financial aid, education, community outreach or related field.
- Minimum of two years of experience working with target population (middle school and high school students). QUALIFICATIONS:
- Comfortable speaking and presenting to large groups as well as meet with other professionals from various organizations
- Independent, self-starter with capacity to develop collaborative working relationships; think critically and plan thoughtfully; maintain flexibility in the face of change; synthesize ideas effectively; identify and appropriately utilize resources to solve problems in a dynamic setting
- Ability to develop positive working relationships with, build rapport with, and motivate clients.
- Knowledge of individual emotional and social and economic factors that contribute to student concerns.
- Cultural competency; appreciation, embracing, and valuing of diversity.
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines and meet or exceed goals
- Digital literacy including proficiency with computer software including database systems, MS Office programs, on-line learning tools, and social media
- Excellent customer service, written, verbal, and presentation skills that transcends diverse populations of students and adults
- Bilingual or multi-lingual skills a plus
- Experience with work readiness and/or career planning Job Location Brockton, US-MA
Keywords: American Student Assistance, Cranston , Education Advisor - Talent Search, Education / Teaching , Brockton, Rhode Island
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!